On this page: Details about the Olson Construction Gravel Mine
Olson Construction Gravel Mine
As of Friday June 3rd, Ron Olson has withdrawn his mining permit application for the property on 159th St.
Ron Olson Construction (Olson) is proposing to establish a sand and gravel mining operation on 184 acres of property located in San Francisco Township, Carver County, MN. The Site is currently used for agricultural production. Mining is proposed on 37 acres within the Site. Reclamation will return the land to agricultural production. The proposed operations include stripping, mining of sand and gravel, crushing, screening, recycling asphalt and concrete, hauling, and reclamation activities. The Project is anticipated to operate 10-20 years, with the actual life of the operation dependent upon market demand for the materials. There is an estimated 1.5-2 million cubic yards of material to be extracted during the life of the mine.
The Township has prepared an Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) to review the proposed mine as required by the Township ordinance. There is a public comment period for the EAW that beings on Tuesday, February 16th, 2021. The Township will accept written comments (via mail or email) on the Draft EAW during the public review and comment period, which concludes Wednesday, March 17th, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
- Olson Gravel Mine – EAW Press Release
- Olson Gravel Mine – EAW Text and Plan Sheets
- Olson Gravel Mine – EAW Figures
- Olson Gravel Mine – EAW Attachments
- 5-10-2021 Additional Information no attachments
- Attachment 1 WT Verification
- Attachment 3 201231_WCA NOD
- Attachment 4 Agricultural lands after mining
- Attachment 5 Phase 1 Cultural Resources
- Joyce and 159th Plans
- Joyce and 159th Report of Geotechnical Exploration 2021-06-30
- Joyce and 159th Soil Boring Report 21031 update memo 2022-02-16
- Joyce and 159th Soil Sampling Site Visit Documentation 2021-09-24
- Joyce and 159th Supplimental Report 2 2001-10-05
- May 31, 2022 Public Hearing audio recording of the meeting here. M4A | MP3
- Presentation here:5-31-2022 Olson-Mine PDF
Written comments should be submitted to:
San Francisco Township
C/O Heidi Schmidt
18980 Cty. Rd. 40
Belle Plaine, MN 56011
Electronic/email comments may be submitted to Heidi Schmidt at HeidiSFT@gmail.com with Olson Gravel Mine Draft EAW in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, please include name and mailing address.
A hard copy of the Draft EAW is available for public review at:
- Chaska Library, 4 City Hall Plaza, Chaska, Minnesota 55318
- Belle Plaine Community Library, 125 West Main Street, Belle Plaine, MN 56011